Our office, along with most in the profession, require payment at the time of service. If you find yourself unable to afford care for your pet, there are some resources available to help pay for the cost of veterinary care:
- Care Credit - this is a credit card designed specifically for medical expenses including veterinary care. If your bill is over $200, you can get no-interest terms as long as you pay the monthly minimum and pay it off within the time established between you and your veterinary office. You can apply at this link in the privacy of your own home to establish the line of credit, or we can apply for you at our hospital.
- Harley's Hope Foundation (Colorado Springs) - Harley's Hope is a non-profit that is able to provide limited veterinary care to those demonstrating financial hardship. The operate through donations and grants and are always grateful for donations from the public.
- PetAid Colorado (Denver) - PetAid provides spay/neuter services to the general public without needing to income-qualify unless you wish to take advantage of PetAid Animal Hospital’s discounted fees. For other services, PetAid requires clients to income-qualify for a 15 and 25 percent discount from established rates.
- Toby Darwin Foundation (Fort Collins) - Their mission is to improve animal care by providing assistance to pet parents and homeless animals.
- Friends & Vets Helping Pets - FVHP was founded to assist families with financial limitations to pay for extraordinary veterinary expenses necessary to save a pet’s life.
Pet Insurance for Your Dog or Cat
There are many pet insurance options available, each with their own pricing structure and covered expenses. However, in doing our research, we've found that Trupanion has a comprehensive plan for any emergency or unexpected services. Some of the features we find helpful:
1. Your first month is free if you sign up when you bring them in for their initial exam.
2. Choose your own deductible from zero on up.
3. Once your deductible is met (per incident or illness), Trupanion pays 90% of any costs for that incident; you pay only 10%.
4. We are an Express Pay clinic. This means we submit your invoice while you are in the clinic and within about 10 minutes, often more quickly, we can find out what you owe. You only pay your portion, no submitting your invoice to the company and waiting to get reimbursed.
5. There is an adjunct policy that covers the cost of alternative therapies such as laser treatment.
We recommend you get your puppy or kitten on a PPVC wellness plan to take care of their immediate preventative needs and then sign them up for insurance as a safety for everything from breaking a leg to a life-threatening illness. This way, you lock in the lowest rate (except for cost-of-living increases) throughout their lifetimes.